Sunday, July 22, 2018

Book Review: The Word is Murder

The Word is Murder
Anthony Horowitz
Mystery

A well-written and devious book by one of the few true mystery writers active today. There's a clever blending of fact and fiction that extends even into the acknowledgements. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as I did Magpie Murders--there's no nostalgia angle to speak of--but it's no less expertly crafted. If you're a mystery aficionado, this is a must-read; if you're not, suffice it to say that it's a nifty puzzle with lively characterization and good pacing. The only knock on it that I have is . . . well, shoot, I can't tell you without spoiling the plot. Read this after you're done with The Word is Murder and you'll see what I mean. (It's a mild case, fortunately.)


My well-known decorum and modesty prevent me from capitalizing on the fact, but Anthony Horowitz are professional colleagues. I've published a Sherlock Holmes pastiche, and so has he. Other than the fact that he's a well-known author and screenwriter with a bunch of awards and multiple successful series, as well as being an Officer of the British Empire, there's not much to choose between us. Tell him to drop me a line, if you happen to run into him.

No comments:

Post a Comment