Monday, August 24, 2015

Book Review: Spirals in Time

Spirals in Time: The Secret Life and Curious Afterlife of Seashells
Helen Scales (an excellent name for a marine biologist)
Science

I always try to find something insightful, or at least snarky, to say in these reviews. Sometimes, however, the most honest and informative review I can give is as follows:


If you think the subject matter sounds interesting, you'll probably enjoy this book. [Hereafter to be abbreviated on this blog as "IYTTSMSIYPETB".]

This is such a book. Ten chapters, all interesting, pretty well written, no great thematic or stylistic fireworks, wide range, some good color photographs. 

You won't believe what some of those kinky molluscs get up to with their private parts, though.

2 comments:

  1. How is it that you came to read this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saw it in the library, thought it looked interesting. I collected shells as a wee laddie, and still have a well-thumbed edition of Seashells of the World. I was just vexed that I never seemed to find anything interesting. Lots of clams.

      I liked the book, for the record.

      Delete