Saturday, June 25, 2016

My Hard Fun

For some time now, my old pal who goes by the secret identity "B. S. Donovan" has been posting his ongoing progress in Japanese calligraphy--"hard fun" is his excellent phrase. As he's one of my oldest and dearest friends, my reaction is (of course) bitter jealousy and an urge towards one-upsmanship. Unfortunately, I don't have his courage. He's willing to display his baby steps; I hate to confess to anything until it's ready for prime time.

However, his continued success has goaded me beyond endurance. Here's some hard fun of my own. This is a well-known Irish session tune, "The Kesh Jig."
(This is DADGAD tuning. Note to purists: yes, I've transposed from G to D. It sounds better on this guitar.)

4 comments:

  1. Nicely done, and in-line with your last post re:Ireland. I do like the phrase "hard fun" but I cannot take credit for it. It was Nicholas Negreponte that coined it. I just borrowed it.

    BTW, I saw a huge spike in my site's stats after you posted this. I even got surprised notices from wordpress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you; most kind. You scratch my back, etc. I seem to get periodic spikes related to posting new content. I suspect they're bots, by and large, but you never know.

      Delete
  2. By the way, I state in the About page what my real name is. Not so much a secret. I just couldn't get the URL I wanted. BS was available, and I am full of BS, so...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but referring to you as my old pal B.S. is much much funnier.

      Delete